Page speed or as it’s popularly known as “site speed” has been one of the main focus of Search Engines such as Google and Bing. They are obsessed in making websites faster and this has been their mantra since 2010. It is only fitting that it now one of the main ranking factors in Search Engines. Now the dilemma is how to make website faster that targets both the user and search engines as well. In this article, we will talk about optimizing page speeds for websites through different technical concepts and understanding them in the simplest way possible.
Site Speed Optimization you must know about
- Enabling Compression
- Minification of Codes
- Minification of Codes is a coding technique like compression, reduces the overall file size of the file. The concept is rather simple. Tools like YUI compressor removes unnecessary characters such as commas, spaces, and code comments. It will also remove formatting and unused code blocks on your files.
- Reducing Redirects
- This is a rather manual process that you will surely need the assistance of a web developer. This concepts requires or at the very least reducing the number of your redirects. This is more evident when it involves your main pages. To identify redirects on you website, run it through crawler tools like screaming frog. Evaluate redirects if they are needed on not. Remove unused or useless redirects on the website. It would also be noteworthy to see if redirects are autogenerated and make the proper changes to have it reduce redirect overall.
- Leverage Browser Caching
- Using CDN (Content Distribution Network)
- Utilizing Content distribution network can be easily explained by this notion: bring the website closer to your users. CDNs can be implemented through your website hosts as an additional option. Identifying regions where your users are coming from will give you a great idea where to set your CDN.
- Optimizing Multimedia (Videos and Images)
- Compressing your images and videos can be done through a simple change of format. Converting JPG to PNG image formats will roughly save around 20% of file space. In addition, making sure that images are of the right size will also optimize its overall file size in terms of its use. Lastly, you can further optimize your image and videos though formats that are embedded in and CSS file. Images and videos that are often used in your website can be placed in CSS file where you can implement formating. This method will reduce the HTTP request to access your images.
Doing this optimization on the mobile version of the website is an SEO best practice. This will ensure that you have an optimize desktop and mobile website. And lastly, also consider the need of your users when doing these optimizations. To make sure that these optimizations are done in the best way possible, you should consider to hire SEO services just what Ecommerce Tuning provides. Nothing beats relying on tested professionals with a great track record.